Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Oversized Rear Rotors - Big Brake Upgrade Version 1




As previously seen, I had some adapter plates laser cut to suit a larger disc.Upgrading from the 250mm to 303mm I plan to get a bit more out of the rears with the added inertia effect of a larger disc.




Template cut outs - /cx5-2013-rear-rotor-upgrade-303mm.html

I was happen with the template, so it went back for some modifications.

Its an extremely tight fit but both went on successful and made it through a track day.







As you can see I have opted for minimal clearance. For some reason the passenger side had minor scraping but driver side didn't.






Possibly variations in casting or my laser cut adapters.

I plan to add another 0.5mm, and increase the clearance








The old string test, I wasn't so sure the rotor was sitting flush on the hub, so i put a string inbetween to check. Looks like i was doubting myself :)





Feeler gauges? Because the bosses aren't quiet correct. They fit but slightly off centre































  Outside Gap   Inside Gap
  =             >            =             >
0.762 0.813 0.635 0.762
0.711 0.762 0.66      0.711
                             0.711    0.66

Sum:
1.473 1.575 2.006 2.133

Difference:
  =              >
0.533 0.558

Therefore the bosses has to grow an average of 0.5455mm / 2
= 0.27mm
New bosses = 12.3mm, this should provide ~1.74mm of gap inside & outside
* "=" is the best fitting feeler gauge
  ">" is the next size feeler that doesn't fit



My first set of 2deg camber shims >



















The passenger side handbrake cable had no slack, so i removed some of the mounting bolts temporarily

I also used some WD40 and a screwdriver to loosen the cable mounts and allow the cable to move freely.






I temporarily removed the brake hose to allow enough slack to mount the caliper.









The other mount I temporarily removed to fit the caliper over the rotor.








I plan to increase this clearance slightly.




















Current sized bosses, need to increase these approx 0.5mm








Plate fitting with camber shim




No comments:

Post a Comment