Monday, March 2, 2015

Stage 1 - Block Cleaning - 4hrs

Total time: 4+hrs


According to my engine machinist, most engine failure happens because of cleanliness.
Funny you say that, as even though Adam's block was the cleanest in town.  Little did we know there was some swarf hiding somewhere deep inside. I have a gut feeling that this swarf had rusted and embedded itself somewhere that we couldn't clean /the-good-bad-forged-build-ii-under-knife.html 
Hence! this time i paid about $500 to remove all oil balls and tap with out for grub screws. This way I can inspect all galleries and at least flush the swarf out.





When cleaning a block, you might be confronted by flash rust. I believe this is from the debris from machining.  I think next time I will clean the block as much as possible before washing with water.  Use HOT soapy water.  Next time I might try a soluble rust inhibitor in the water as well.
Dry the engine block with compressed air and WD40, try and rub any flash rust off.  If you can't use some ATF fluid and let it soak





DO NOT I have removed the oil jets to stop rust and contamination during machining and cleaning.


I tap out every head stud and main stud as well.  Cleaning all threads multiple times. Spraying WD40 and compressed air through all the oil galleries.





No comments:

Post a Comment