Monday, April 29, 2013

Track Prep - Z27AG Goes to War

It has been awhile since my last update. I have been busy preparing for the all day race.
I convinced myself it was time for some new tires. I need to get serious.
Hence i went with some Z221 Hankooks. Its cheaper than the Yokohama A050s.
Lucky for me I found one shop in Perth selling them.
Kostera http://www.kostera.com.au/
They also do the famous Dunlop RComps.
My friend said they Hankooks in his mind won the WTAC. As all three top finishes ran them. They are now banned and only Yokohamas can run in the competition. I wonder why :)

First things first. The compressor needed new oil.
I hadn't changed the oil in a year :( Lazy me.
In went some fresh compressor oil.



When i bought my rims i measured up a rough fitment. I begun to realise that nothing would clear due to my camber setup.
So i went and ordered proper bolt on spacers. That are hubcentric and not lugcentric.
They match the hubsize so there is no stress on the studs. They are from a Volvo S40 4stud.
I also went and purchased hub centric rings 67mm to 73mm. This allows the rims to sit nice and snug without any movement of stress on the lugs.







Trak+ Hubcentric spacers CB=67.1
/ls400ucf20-or-ls430ucf30-front-brake.html

The rears proved a pain in the ass.
They use a 10mm spacer, the snag was it required installation of new studs. These were strengthen extended studs and they would not go in!
I use a torch to heat the hubs but no luck.
I stuck them in the freezer for a day and it proved to help.
I used WD40 and copper anti seize to help drive them in.
They ruined my cro-mo impact installation tool.






Another little present came all the way from NZ.
This is an Evo III to brembo conversion bracket.
It will allow someone to bolt their brembos off a new evo to the older ones.
The rotors you will need to run are 320mm which are factory evo5-9 front rotors, but 330mm will also work with these plates
At the moment i run a 276mm disc and soon to be a 294mm
A cheaper and lighter option for now.
More on the two rotors:
/project-mu-or-carbotech-276mm-or-294mm.html
My twin pot Evo III:
/ct530-xp10-carbotech-to-evo-iii-twin.html
How to fit bigger rotors:
/z27ag-rcolt-mr307282-with-294mm-discs.html





It just got more serious. I just bought an AC TIG.
For those that don't know. AC is required to weld aluminium. It does cost a bit more than your usual DC TIG (stainless etc) and even more than your MIG.
More info to come as i teach myself how to use it.







The winning tires. Too bad they ordered me the wrong sizes.
I wanted the 205/45/17 on the fronts and a 215/45/17 on the rears.
I ended up with a 215 and a 225 :(
They don't fit at all. I can't even full lock.
Stretch wise they aren't bad but the rolling diam is too big. I should be running a 40 profile. But they don't make these.










I also went a bit crazy and started ripping stuff out of the car.












Zero clearance. Hence a lot of the guards got cut and bashed.
Lucky i had already flared the guards to fit the 15x8+0 otherwise it would be impossible.
Flared guards:
/wide-body-fenders-rcolt-version-i.html









I used the angle grinder. Extremely messy.
I have now bought a Shinano air saw. Sooo good.
I no longer burn my face with molten plastic
More photos below of the cutting.








Bye bye interior.
I believe i have removed about 50kg from the interior.
Between all plastics, un-used seat belts, passenger chair and carpets.
I have also remove the fog lights, heat shields, drivers Recaro to a lighter race seat. Only 5kg saving from memory :(
Can't afford a super light seat.
I also changed to a smaller battery a few years ago. 9kg saving from memory.
Maybe I am about 100kg lighter than a OEM car. Carbon hood etc. Rear seat were the heaviest item
But the manifold and turbo would weigh abit more, plus all my swaybars and anti roll bars.



Before and after :)
















Too bad i can't get 40 profiles. Would have been perfect :(









Not the best fittings for a 17" wheel @_@









No comments:

Post a Comment